Monday, May 30, 2011

Road Trip!!!

Dumi and I set out for Lilongwe on Friday afternoon with a friend Abby. During our four hour trip south we got lost in conversation and enjoying the sights and stars from the car. It was late when we finally arrived and the power was out for an hour or so. We said our goodbyes to Abby and headed to the backpackers in town which is moving soon resulting in a lack of furniture and such. The next day, while Dumi was taking part in a student selection process for his alma mater, I headed to the local market. I was just taking a walk around when I started chatting with a few of the vendors. They invited me to learn the traditional board game Bao. We spent the next couple hours playing and wether they were letting me win in order to get me to buy something or not is to be debated but I had a good time anyway. I went with the two guys I had been playing with, Hippo and Black Moses, to the market where you can find almost anything. I then caught a minibus, my first ever!, to go meet up with Dumi. As we headed out of Lilongwe we filled up on petrol not realizing that it would turn out not be quite enough to get us home. We wound up running out of gas, literally, in Nkata Bay. We stayed right on the lake at a backpackers called Butterfly. It of course made me think of Ambyr and her beautiful tattoo that is being worked on while I'm away :( Wish I could be there with you! As there was no petrol in town, seriously, we spent the next day hanging out waiting to see if we could find some cheap gas on the black market. The waiting wasn't so bad as the lake is warm and beautiful. We hungout on the beach, went swimming and I was convinced to jump off the rocks into the water! We finally got some petrol late this morning and made the 40K journey back to Mzuzu. So here we are again, home sweet home, for now. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment