Sunday, May 22, 2011

Harare to Blantyre via Mozambique

I have finally made my way to Malawi. My last days in Harare were good ones. I went for a second horse back riding lesson with Cary and the instructor really pushed us. There may be hope for me yet when it comes to posting (the way you ride when the horse is trotting). I wish I could keep going because it was a lot of fun and I really like the way we were being taught. I don't know if I would be able to take lessons back home, they are sooo expensive there! I had a great time watching movies and just hanging out with Cary and Idir before they took off to Zanzibar for the weekend. It was a good way to say goodbye, for now.

My last night in Harare I went to dinner with Houari and two of the Chinese guys. We had a nice meal, not at a Chinese restaurant this time, and good conversation. We then met up with some friend to go out dancing. As I was warned the club we went to was full of young people. I doubt they were over 18, scary. Despite a distressing conversation about safe sex, condom usage and the effectiveness of the pill in Europe compared to America, I had a good time. The boys are a lot of fun to go out with but staying out that late was maybe not the best idea before a long bus ride.

The bus to Malawi was scheduled to depart by 8am. Did that happen? What do you think? Of course not. Houari and I got a bite to eat and then waited for the bus some more. When I finally got on the road we were about 4 hours behind schedule. That wouldn't have really mattered that much accept that when we got to the Mozambique boarder I needed a new visa which takes time. The form isn't in English so the guys were nice enough to help me fill it out. I think I was supposed to give him something for his help but the bus driver was yelling at me to get going and bribe the immigration people so we could leave sooner so I forgot to give him something. No I didn't bribe him and he was done in fifteen minutes anyway. It seemed like everyone was looking at me like I was some stupid white lady holding up the whole process. Must I remind them that they were 4 hours late!!!! The only thing that made me feel a bit better was the little girl sitting in front of me was playing peek-a-boo with me. She must have been around 2, it was so cute. Then around 6pm all of a sudden our bus driver starts madly honking his horn and swerving all over the road. For a split second I swear we were going to tip over but thank god we didn't and just kept on speeding down the road like nothing happened. It was kinda funny because everyone started swearing in different languages. To really top off the evening at the Malawi boarder the bus parked next to a bit of a slope, which I couldn't see in the dark, and I literally fell out of the bus! I was fine but shit what else could go wrong? I finally made it safely to Blantyre and the backpackers hostel at around 10:30pm. As the dorms were full I had to set up my tent, uhg.

After a good nights sleep I made my way into town. Of course nothing was open as its Sunday but I got an idea for the place and got to see the market at least. Tomorrow I am headed to Mzuzu to see Dumi and I am so excited to finally be making my way up there! Wish me luck on another very long bus ride, 4pm to 5am, yuck.

1 comment:

  1. Hayley,
    Jessica sent me your blog address. It sounds like you are having a super time! I just finished a 3 day visit with Altair and he has greatly matured. He was courteous, helpful and respectful. There is a good chance he will be joining us in August. I look forward to seeing you then and hearing more about your grand adventure! Don't forget to use the water filter and have a great time. Love, Aunt Sandy

    ReplyDelete