Thursday, April 14, 2011

From Dar to Malawi to Mozambique and Zimbabwe!!!!

In the past week or so we have covered some major ground. I am currently in Zimbabwe and loving every minute of it. After the fantastic time in Zanzibar with the spice tour and beautiful beaches we made our way down through Tanzania into Malawi. There have been some really long bus rides in order to cover this ground so you get very good at sleeping, reading, eating and just doing nothing on the truck. We had a few whirlwind days in Malawi with the highlight of me getting to see my friend Dumi who just recently moved back from the states.

We went to a local market in Mzuzu, Malawi where we had to barder for an entire outfit for a person we picked out of a hat. Then the next night at our camp we got all dressed up in what the secret person had gotten for us and had a fashion show. It was absolutely rediculous and fantastic! Dumi came to meet me at the camp site with his friend Janet and we went in the warm water of Lake Malawi, it is more like a fresh water ocean with waves and beautiful beaches. It was so wonderful to spend some time with him and I can't wait for when we have more time together.

I also went for a two hour horse back ride with a fantastic guide and my roommate from the trip. It was absolutely wonderful even though I was a bit nervous because it was on an english saddle and I had never been on one before. I did great though with the trotting and a very short amount of cantering. We ended the beautiful ride by taking off the saddles, putting on our swim suites and going into the lake with the horses!

The last couple of days have been looong drives, starting at 6am and getting into our camp after 7pm. True we have had 600k to cover each day plus several boarder crossing which can take a lot of time. We have been lucky so far with only one guy having trouble getting in and out of Malawi. After spending one night in Mozambique we crossed the boarder into Zimbabwe. We stayed at this great place where we got upgraded from our usual camping to dorm beds for the same price! We were all thrilled. We had such a party that night. lol. We spend a whole day in Harare city walking around, going to the gallery,the botanic garden and such. It is a more modern city and the people were so friendly. Right as we were about to leave my two friends and I met with group of people who are part of a band. Long story short the singer invited me to come stay with her in a week or so when they are having a huge international art and music festival in town. I am so stoked to try and make that work! Today though we arrived into another absolutely gorgeous camp ground and went to the Great Zimbabwean Ruins where the rulers used to live. It was absolutely amazing and we got to see some dancing and drumming, took some great videos.

Anyway, I will end there for now. There are so many little things I want to share and when I get to Dumi's again maybe he can helo me upload some photos. Please let me know what all of you are up to as well!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment