Wednesday, April 20, 2011

End to a trip, start of a journey.

My overland trip is officially over. Though I am no longer on the trip I have been continueing to camp with them in Victoria Falls for the past few days. Since my last post we have made our way through Zimbabwe to Vic falls. We did several safaris or game drives which were so amazing. One of our game drives our guide, Ian, took us to see the cave drawings of the bushpeople. He had so much knowledge about the people, the plants the animals, the history of the land and knew some of the bush language. It was mind blowing what he told us about them and so incredibly sad that they have been pushed out and off the land into the desert. We learned about poisonous plants, herbs, medicines and edible plants. There is absolutely no reason to go to the store for anything, just walk around and it is all right there under your feet or up in the trees! After the caves we went on an animal seeking drive where we got to get out of the car and walk up to a wild rhino!!! We got within 25 or 30 feet of this enormous animal and shit I was a little nervous. The guide took a photo of me with the rhino in back so you will see how close we really are and how massive this animal is. I am just continually amazed by all the creatures here, large and small. We stayed in this absolutely beautiful place for two nights. The cabins or huts are build in amongst these huge bolders and caves. There is no way to properly describe the awe of being there. You just have to experience it.

The next few game drives were with this crazy guy Andy. He told us all about the poaching problems and how he himself has been employed in catching them in the national parks. He took us on a night game drive which was an experience to say the least. We got to see some small creatures that only come out at night but the best part was watching Andy swerve off the road yelling at the baboons in the trees, scaring them off. It was absolutely hilarious! We also, during the day, would speed after these birds in the middle of the road and they would scurry off in all directions. I called it bird bowling. I kow it sounds maybe a bit bad but it was all in good fun and no animals were hurt during our adventures. I can't tell you how incredible it is to be in the national parks so close to these animals. I mean we were within feet of elephant herds, leopards running across the road in front of us, tons of giraffe and soooo much more. It was just so fantastic!

I am ending my trip with the overland truck in Victoria Falls tomorrow morning. Today I am setting out to do the bridge swing with one of the guys from my trip and then an elephant ride. I am so excited for these adventures. I know I keep using all these words like incredible, amazing and all that but there really aren't words to express these things properly. The other day we went to see the falls themselves and it was just incredible. When they suggest to you to wear a rain jacket they aren't kidding around. I didn't wear one and it was like standing in a high pressure shower! The spray from the falls this time of year is so powerful that at times you can't even see the falls. In a few days I will be heading up to Harare, Zimbabwe, to attend an international festival with music and various performances. When we passed through Harare last week I met a young woman on the road who invited me to come stay with her so I will see if I can make that happen. It is a bit scary to be back on my own again but also a good change from the go go go of the group trip. I am really sad to see the truck move on tomorrow and my tour leader, Victor, keeps trying to get me to come with them. I am considering meeting up with the truck down in Cape Town and coming back up to Victoria Falls but I don't know yet, I have a lot of options. So until next time, hope you are all well and thanks for some of the emails and facebook comments. It is nice to hear from you guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment