Monday, March 21, 2011

What the Post!?!

As I head onto Nairobi I needed to lighten the load a little bit. I wouldn't be needing any of my heavy snow gear from the mountain so I figured I'd sent it on home. Wow was that a journey. One of the guides from the Kilimanjaro trip has been nice enough to take me around town each day, helping me figure out where things are and run errands. So we had to walk all over town to try to find a big enough box to fit everything in. Then go back to the post office buy the brown paper and tape to cover the box then buy the postage to send the box. This whole extravaganza took around two hours and was really expensive!!! It hurts the pocket book now but I'm sure when I am only lugging around one bag I will be happy the package was sent.

I finally took a dip in the pool the other day. I am staying at the YMCA and they have an enormous pool. It has been raining off and on but it is so hot and humid here the cold water felt great. Also due to the weather my laundry from the mountain was not finished, they dry everything in the sun. It was a fiasco to try to get everything back and when I did get my things, many enquiries later, things were wet and my vest was a bit ruined. So the moral of that story is do your own stinking laundry even if the sign in the room says not to hang damp clothing! At least you will know where it is and it won't cost anything.
Oh I forgot to mention in my rush the other day that on the mountain it was -15 C, what is that in F? As a result though my bottom lip got really chapped, :( It will get better quickly. Till Nairobi! Hope all is well with everyone at home.

1 comment:

  1. Hello sister I miss you so! I have had a lot of trouble figuring out how to post a comment here and posted on your fb a few days ago as I could not get it to post here. I'm not sure if you are checking your fb but Liz and Cooper have left you messages there. I love you and I am so glad you set this up so that we can all hear about your adventures in Africa as you make it through your journey. I love you and I am so happy that you are safe and enjoying all of the exciting new places you are visiting.
    I love you and miss you sooo much baby sis'
    ~A

    ReplyDelete