Thursday, March 24, 2011

Nairobi

After spending a few days in Moshi Tanzania, after my climb, I was ready to go to Kenya. It was a small town with two roads, not a lot to do and my guide, who was fantastic about taking me around town was starting to cramp my style. So I was all set up to get on the 6am bus to Nairobi. I could hardly sleep because I was so worried I wouldn't wake up in time to catch the bus, my alarm is so quiet I can barely hear it when it is in my ear! I made the bus and boy was it a long ride. We didn't get into Nairobi until around 3pm! The greatest part of the drive was that at one point I looked out the window and there were about 15 or 20 giraffe staring back at me. They were just on the side of the road!  It was great I just wish I had my camera out at the ready, next time.

When I got into Nairobi I didn't really know where I would be staying so I had the bus drop me off at a backpackers. Their idea of dropping me off is still driving, but slowly, saying ok it's down that way. Luckily I had met a Canadian teacher on the bus and he got off with me and we walked up the road to the backpackers hostel which was like three buildings down. I feel a little bit better here than I did in Moshi, more people speak English, the hostel has internet on site, dorms, and oh my god a TV! Last night this guy I met, Steve, and I watched this hilarious show called the Ninja warrior. It is one of those Japanese game shows where they have to get through obstacle courses in a set time. Hilarious! He and I are going to go to the Giraffe center today and then if I get back in time this other woman I met is going to take me to the orphanage she is working with out in one of the slums. I am so looking forward to all these new things. I have a few more days to figure out what to do with before I meet my bus tour group at the Hotel down the street. I may stay in Nairobi to discover a few more things here, perhaps go to a movie or maybe find the elephant orphanage. Not sure, the options are endless. Anyway, I am doing well here and very excited about the people I am meeting and the places I will be going. 

No comments:

Post a Comment