Sunday, March 27, 2011

Makin' out is the thing to do!

Hello Everyone!
I am in Nairobi for the last day today as I am meeting my overland tour group tonight. The last few days have been great! I went with two guys I met at the backpackers hostel to the Giraffe Center. It was a small place with about eight giraffe. We walked up these stairs to be face to face with them. You get a handful of food and can feed them. The best part is that you can get a kiss by putting the food pellet in between your lips and they use their tongue to get it from you. It is a great make out session! LOL!
After that I came back to the backpackers to meet Bethany, this woman who invited me out to the orphanage she is working at. So we took the local bus about an hour and a half out of Nairobi into the gorgeous hills of Kenya. The air was so clean and fresh with evergreen trees everywhere. Once we got to the small town we took motorbikes up the hill to the orphanage. It was a little scary at first flying down the dirt roads, wind blowing in my hair, on the back of this motorbike, but then you start to look around and it so exciting. We arrived just in time to join the kids after dinner during their group time. It reminded me so much of boarding school or the group home the way they ran things and they way the place was set up. I spent the evening talking with the volunteers, from America, and cuddling a tiny kitten named Nala. She was the sweetest little kitty, made me miss my big kitty.
The next morning I went with the volunteers to the school and saw more children that they are helping through tutoring. I was given the opportunity to tutor a young boy, Michael, on his reading, writing, and comprehension. Then I sat in on an art class that the volunteer had put together. It was so wonderful to see an organization that was doing something so wonderful for the kids and being productive! I absolutely hope that I find a volunteer position in Malawi. After lunch, they were so generous!, we headed to the 'bus station'. I  took one of the local buses back home which took forever but I arrived before dark which was good.
The next day, after meeting many Americans at the hostel, I made my way to the Nairobi National Museum. It was an amazing place with some great exhibits like the one on international womans month, and the one about evolution. They have the oldest skeletons, from Kenya, in the world! Then I went to the snake park and had a volunteer take me around and tell me about all the different kinds of snakes. I spent over four hours doing all that.
I have been enjoying the backpackers hostel so much because I meet fellow travelers everyday that I have been doing fun things with or just getting some great ideas of things to do. Today I am going to meet my overland tour group. Luckily for me the hotel that I need to get to is just a block away from the backpackers I'm staying at! I am so excited about this tour and really getting going on this traveling trip!!! Miss everyone and when I get some more photos I will try to figure out how to put them up. Unfortunately I didn't really get any pictures of Nairobi because it just isn't smart to bring anything into town with you. Oh well. Update soon, maybe!

No comments:

Post a Comment